Re: how to print a file with mcedit

Hi, Steef!

I'm placing this issue to my TODO list.  Should be easy to do if we only
support lpr and rely on UNIX pipes.  This won't work on Windows, of
course.

OF COURSE NOT!
Hence, there will be a windows printing port patch soon and before we
know it  mcedit is 20Mb uncompiled. Like emacs.

Unfortunately, you are overestimating MC developers.  20Mb uncompiled
takes years of dedicated work.

Most likely such patch would just hide "problematic" entries on the
systems where they are less likely to work.

So this brings up the question: do we want to clogg mcedit with platform
specific functions or do we want it to be a maintainable piece of
software?

We want the later.

However, relying on POSIX commands is not "platform specific".  MC is for
POSIX systems.  Relying on external POSIX commands is what makes MC small.

Ports of MC to non-POSIX systems are very experimental.  I don't expect
them to reach the users - they are toys for developers.  Sometimes it's
fun to debug MC in MSVC :-)

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin