Re: [ANN] mc^2

Hello,

On Sun, 10 May 2015 10:49:40 +0200
"Yury V. Zaytsev" <yury shurup com> wrote:

On Sun, 2015-05-10 at 03:42 +0300, Mooffie wrote:

(I already know some places where I'll get criticism. E.g., in
places where I didn't wan't to refactor things in the old code
(e.g., in src/filemanager/panel.c). Why didn't I? because I didn't
think it was wise to refactor/modify old code before I first get an
"ok" on the big picture.)

Just to clarify, the fact that I'm excited about your work, think that
it's amazing and don't want to bikeshed over Lua (which personally I
don't like by the way, but at the same time I see no better practical
choice, so let it be Lua!), doesn't mean that somebody else doesn't
have a different opinion :-)

As a shameless plug, I can offer a better alternative:
https://github.com/micropython/micropython . It would offer about the
same footprint as Lua, while offering more pleasant data model, and
well-known standard library. As a full disclosure, it's rather younger
than Lua (but pretty well developed at 4K commits) and it would be
first (known, as it's BSD, anyone can do it secretly) standalone project
to embed it.

Andrew seems to be genuinely interested, which is great, because he
can do a proper review. How about Slava and Ilia, what are you guys
thinking? Slava, would you be able to make time for a review?

Fairly speaking, Mooffie is very lucky that his random hack got so much
attention. There're simpler and more important issues which are open
for 5+ years, to whose solution number of people contributed over these
years, including Slava and Ilia themselves, and which are stuck with no
review/response (not counting completely out of way, bureaucratic
write-offs):

http://www.midnight-commander.org/ticket/1652
https://github.com/MidnightCommander/mc/pull/49

Egmont, would you be able to do as much? Formally you are not part of
the core team, but then again, if Andrew ends up being alone to look
at all this stuff, another pair of eyes would definitively be of
help...

--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev

--
Best regards,
 Paul                          mailto:pmiscml gmail com