Re: [ANN] mc^2

On Sun, 2015-05-10 at 13:12 +0300, Paul Sokolovsky wrote:

As a shameless plug, I can offer a better alternative:
https://github.com/micropython/micropython . It would offer about the
same footprint as Lua, while offering more pleasant data model, and
well-known standard library. As a full disclosure, it's rather younger
than Lua (but pretty well developed at 4K commits) and it would be
first (known, as it's BSD, anyone can do it secretly) standalone project
to embed it.

I really like Python and, of course, I know about MicroPython. Now,
let's do a simple reality check:

1) How many distributions have it packaged so far?
2) Does it already provide a stable embedding API?
3) How complete is the standard library? (I know...)
4) Does it have a JIT? (okay, this one is unfair)
5) ...

Sorry, but I don't think that MicroPython is a viable choice,
unfortunately.

However, in the end, I don't think that it's a big deal: there is Lupa
and Lunatic Python, so once the support for Lua gets in, you can use
Python just as well. At the same time, if you absolutely want to use
Python directly, in theory, you can later re-use the same infrastructure
for MicroPython.

Fairly speaking, Mooffie is very lucky that his random hack got so much
attention. There're simpler and more important issues which are open
for 5+ years

The problem is that the definition of "important" is in the eyes of the
beholder. I'm sorry, but I personally couldn't care less about #1652,
simply because I don't. I recognize that it might be a deal breaker for
you, but not for me.

However, do I personally care a lot about the list of tickets that
mooffie has shown a solution for with his patch. Is it surprising that
I'm excited about it?

I hope that your patch eventually will get reviewed and merged, as long
as it doesn't affect the binary safety by default, but this can't be me,
sorry about that.

By the way, I wonder if hooks can be added to the editor so that it
would be viable to implement the line endings autodetection via the
scripting engine...

--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev