Re: mc and utf-8 again but different

Dear Rostislav,

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007, Rostislav Bene wrote:

I do not see the point in your ncursesw patch -
it gives an option to link against a wchar-enabled library,
but the wide API is not used.
For me only nursesw handles correct utf-8 strings. Only part of code, that
use direct wchars (gunichars) is strutilutf8.c, but all wchars functions
are taken from glib.
But "ncursesw" is just the default name for ncurses library with
_additional_ wchar functions enabled.
Wide enabled version may still be named "ncurses" (as in Mac OS X)
  and the standard library name is just "curses" anyway.
If you do not use wide API but ncurses fails - may be ncursesw ans ncurses
are of different versions on your system.
You may want to contact the current ncurses maintainer Thomas Dickey http://invisible-island.net/ncurses/ncurses.faq.html#report_bugs
he is usually fast to react with answers and/or patches.

Actual version of my patches does not distinguish between normal and
combining characters. I'm trying to fix it now.
http://www.fi.muni.cz/~xbenes5/projects/mc/mc-combining.tar.gz - this
version shall work better.
I'll give it a try.

if Encoding is set to UTF-8-MAC panels come out OK, but
internal viewer shows only questions.
It is possible, that file names conversion between UTF-8-MAC and UTF-8 has
made composition too.
  Exactly! (in the voice of Lord Rayden ;)

         Sincerely, Michail