Re: [bug #18136] MC wont work with new bash-3.2 propeply with all directories.

Hello,

On Sun, 29 Oct 2006, Leonard den Ottolander wrote:

Hi Christian,

On Sat, 2006-10-28 at 23:48 +0200, Christian Hamar alias krix wrote:
Attached patch implements this. This is not a proposition for a final
solution, just a temporary hack for users of bash >= 3.2.

Do not use with versions of bash <= 2.05b!

Thx for the patch. It works with 3.2 (tested)

If you can ride with BASH_VERSINFO then maybe this can be go to CVS.

I suppose I will work with the BASH_VERSINFO environment variable. As
you told me privately it was introduced in bash-2.0, so I suppose I will
assume version < 2 if the environment variable is not set.

IMO, if you intend to work on a fix you should follow the
suggestion of the bash maintainer to switch over to using
"printf" - not only for bash but for all cases.  Of course
a fallback may be required. After all according to bash
maintainer:

  "Use of `echo' in portable applications has been deprecated for years."

See: http://www.mail-archive.com/bug-bash gnu org/msg02150.html

I guess the bash maintainer can give you insight on how to properly
detect the bash version (if at all necessary).