Re: [bug #18136] MC wont work with new bash-3.2 propeply with all directories.

Hi Pavel,

On Mon, 2006-10-30 at 11:45 +0200, Pavel Tsekov wrote:
> IMO, if you intend to work on a fix you should follow the
> suggestion of the bash maintainer to switch over to using
> "printf" - not only for bash but for all cases.  Of course
> a fallback may be required. After all according to bash
> maintainer:
>
>    "Use of `echo' in portable applications has been deprecated for years."
>
> See: http://www.mail-archive.com/bug-bash gnu org/msg02150.html

Yes, I read that comment. However I'm not prepared to start breaking the
functionality of shells that I never use.

> I guess the bash maintainer can give you insight on how to properly
> detect the bash version (if at all necessary).

All I need to establish is whether the version is smaller than 3.2. I
think I will use BASH_VERSINFO for this. If that array doesn't exist I
will assume bash < 3.2.

Leonard.