Re: MC problem with new bash 3.2

Hello Jochen,

On Sun, 2006-10-29 at 11:58 +0100, Jochen Roderburg wrote:
> So only a few more remarks: I had already reported that issue to the
> bash-maintainers and their answer was: they had made the change in the "echo
> -e" behaviour to adhere to some current standards and they mean that no
> "portable" application should use the "deprecated, non portable" echo, but
> instead the "portable" printf.

Well, I guess they are correct. Allowing only 4 digit octals instead of
both 3 and 4 digit octals is definitely more consistent, which you can
see from the fact that supporting both requires programmers to escape
numbers following escaped characters (which in practice boils down to
having to escape all numbers in strings using escaped characters).

> And btw, the effect on mc is even bigger in older versions (e.g. 4.5.xx) where
> not only special characters but all characters are quoted with octal digits in
> subshell_name_quote().

We do not support older version of mc. People using older versions
should apply their own patches or ask their vendor to do so. The hack I
provided should give you a starting point.

Leonard.