Re: [bug #18136] MC wont work with new bash-3.2 propeply with all directories.

On Wed, 1 Nov 2006, Leonard den Ottolander wrote:

On Wed, 2006-11-01 at 07:51 -0500, Thomas Dickey wrote:
Before rushing off to change things to
accommodate bash 3.2, it's worth checking if the fix will work with other
shells.

I'm not quite sure which fix you are referring to here. The temporary
hack I send to this list should not break the other shells. All it does
is add quoting of numbers for these shells. For the (temporary, echo -e)
fix I had in mind even this change would be dropped.

My idea was to add an ini option bash_oct_digits with possible values 0
(or unset) (automatically detect version via BASH_VERSION in the calling
environment (actually querying the subshell seems a bit much) or
fallback), 1 ("compatibility mode", 4 digit octals with numbers quoted,
for bash >= 2.05b), 3 ("legacy mode", only use 3 digit octals, no need
to escape digits) and 4 (use 4 digit octals only, no need to escape
digits, for bash >= 3.2).

That is too much. Please, don't do this.

Please let me know if there are volunteers to implement the proper
solution (using printf) so I don't have to waste my time on a patch that
is unnecessary. Thanks.

The "printf" solution wouldn't be that hard to implement in fact. It
may be even simpler. I can look at it.