Re: Midnight Commander mod with Colorer-take5 syntax engine

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006, Leonard den Ottolander wrote:

Is it technically possible to reimplement that c++ code in c? (This is
just theoretical question, I don't ask you to do it.)
It is possible to move this code to libcolorer side and implement
plain C API from library side - however this'll take more time and I
see no reason in doing this.

My question was if it is technically possible to rewrite the cpp code
for *mc* in c and (through trickery) still keep interface compatibility.

Not unless colorer exports C interfaces and it doesn't. The way it is implemented colorer exports a set of interfaces that one has to implement
in terms of C++ classes. Theoretically it could be possible to create
an C++ implementation  of those interfaces, one that delegates the work
to pure C functions. Again that means that colorer has to export a C. I don't see why this is such a big deal to you ?

A bit like linking Delphi (Pascal) to C code. This is possible through
compiler switches changing the stack cleanup behaviour (and probably
some alignment tricks).

What about name mangling issues ? As I said above - you cannot avoid the
C++ code.