Re: Issuing a press release about GNOME 3

Peteris Krisjanis schrieb:

> It is needed, no matter how hard it is. Because it is next level -
> when we actually start to care what happens after code. Being
> proactive about features and problems about them is way forward.

That should be written in stone ;-)

>> One could try to select a good mix of volunteers from different
>> backrounds  who are willing to test new features and give feedback
>>

> Testing should be done, yes, but again, nor GNOME nor distributions
> don't have such manpower.
I wrote "volunteers". I think we should be able to find a handful of
people willing to test. Maybe also we can give them something in return
- and if its only public attention - maybe let them write blogs - so
have some kind of userplanet.gnome.org and encourage them to write about
what they experience. I know this is happening in the blog world already
- but most GNOME users that write blog entries nobody really knows and
nobody cares. And also nobody really knows what they are using. I think
this even does need to meet high standards technically or scientifically
- I just say give the users a seat in the front row and listen to them.
You cant listen to all of them - its true that there are a lot of
Bugzillas out there but that is not the same.

For example I know a telephone company that works with Ubuntu/GNOME only
for some years now - somebody there could report about their experience
which could really be valuable for the business view.

> Of course, mainstream oriented distros should look for more casual
> testing (user groups and stuff), but it is up to them.

That is part of our problem and as far as i have understood other people
also thought about how one could better link bug reports betwen
distribution<->gnome bugzilla. But I also think that GNOME does not get
enough direct information from users. I  think that "let the
distribution" handle the user side does not really work out - this at
least what I see today - if you look at GNOME you can see how some
things got wrong because the GNOME developers and the users seemed to
have gotten out of contact.

regards,
Thilo

--
Thilo Pfennig - PfennigSolutions IT-Beratung- Wiki-Systeme
Sandkrug 28 - 24143 Kiel (Germany)