Re: Issuing a press release about GNOME 3

Alex Hudson schrieb:
> But, here's the thing. I'm not sure 3.0 will come about if people just
> wait around for the 'big idea' to kick it off. Stuff like RedHat's
> online desktop and things are great, but I would compare that to the
> idea of time-based releases. Previously, people would release software
> "when it was ready", and the problem ended up being that ready never
> came (or, indeed, it came and went without people realising).

The problem is that GNOME seems to jump back and forth on GNOME 3.0 -
first its introduced as Project Topaz - as the next big think (2005) and
many ideas came floating in. Then at some point communication was: 3.0
is not going to happen - at least not for a long time - at all. Now it
is back there with rather minor changes.

So these are 3 different stories - there is not really a development of
the Topaz story/idea from the first mention to now - they are not
related to each other besides talking abut the same version number.

So if today there is no big ideas of 3.0 thats only because discussion
was stopped by purpose. Those years could have been used to organize
discussions. Or to work on the page. The start was to have all kind of
brainstorming ideas - they are still there on the scratchpad page - but
are not linked to 3.0 any more - so the context is lost.

And from working aith a wiki I would suggest that a 3.0 pages is not
created and then moved around, stripped by all its content but
continuously refactored so it always contains the status of 3.0. Wiki
pages that say: Wait and do not edit dont make much sense. Only if you
regard a wiki as a CMS where users mostly just stand in the way - and
not as a tool to develop ideas (and where you can look in the history
who added which ideas or who changed what to what).

Regards,

Thilo

--
Thilo Pfennig - PfennigSolutions IT-Beratung- Wiki-Systeme
Sandkrug 28 - 24143 Kiel (Germany)