Re: Signing off our target audience (was Re: Example of targetted release notes)

Joachim wrote:

> On 3/26/07, *Dave Neary* <bolsh gnome org <mailto:bolsh gnome org>> wrote:
>
>     Thilo Pfennig wrote:
>     > So I like to suggest that "we" talk about who "we" are.
>
>     Can we not, please?
>
>     There is so much easy obvious stuff (which I think we can all agree on)
>     to do in terms of outreach
>

> like?

Have I been talking to myself for the last 6 months?

> okay.
> can we make a start on a forward-led roadmap for gnome? that would
> involve a lot of talking to people inside the project

For example. If you want to make real change in GNOME, then you will need:
 - A really good idea of what you want to have changed
 - A really good idea of why
 - A really good idea of who to talk to inside GNOME to get that done
(note: you'll have to convince others to do the work on the merits of
your ideas, unless you do it yourself)
 - A long-term will to get your change adopted and coded and into GNOME.

Things that will not work:
 - complaining on desktop-devel-list that maintainers aren't documenting
all the stuff they want to do in spite of you asking them to (note:
anything which involves putting a diverse group of people under a single
name for the purposes of asking for something or complaining isn't going
to work - maintainers are a widely varying bunch)
 - Proclaiming on ddl that you know what the future direction of GNOME
is, now get to work lads.

I think this is a great idea - and I think there are a bunch of big
steps forward you can make by convincing a relatively small number of
people to follow certain ideas. I just want you to realise that it's a
veryu human task, and risks being frustrating (for an idea, just look
how frustrated Quim's been trying to change the website, which everyone
agrees needs changing).

Cheers,
Dave.

--