Re: news.gnome.org

On Wed, 2006-09-27 at 14:43 -0400, Luke Stroven wrote:

> This is why I believe the current
> system in place at http://planet.gnome.org/news/ is the right direction
> to take for a centralized news system for GNOME enthusiasts.

Ok, then we are all on the same page. The "News" link in the General nav
bar will link to news.gnome.org and this subsite will be based in the
current http://planet.gnome.org/news/

This is the original plan at
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb/NewsGateway . We need to update it
considering the News related http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb/UseCases and
go for it.

> We still need news on the GNOME homepage, the problem is a feed from
> Footnotes, or planetnews, or other sources isn't proper or of high
> enough quality for the homepage.

Implementation details apart, this means that we need to promote
manually the news we want to appear in the homepage and produce our own
news if needed. This is when the Press Team or whoever in charge of
writing news comes to place.

> As far as the archiving issue, Most of the feeds themselves contain
> several months of archives.

The archive is another issue/opportunity. It would be priceless to have
a search engine able to search in a centralized GNOME news archive.

--
Quim Gil /// http://desdeamericaconamor.org | http://pinguino.tv