Re: wgo structure

On Thu, 2006-08-10 at 13:04 +0200, Quim Gil wrote:
> I still think "Learn" is better than "Ask". "Ask" is good to reflect
> mail/forum/IRC, but shadows documentation. True, from "Learn" to
> 'support forums' there is a gap, but I think the meaning is better
> covered than using "Ask".

I think "Get Help" covers all of those better than either "Learn" or
"Ask" :-) "Learn" and "Discover" also overlap the "teaching you
something new" idea space.

> > The thing that's good about using nouns is that I usually come to a site
> > looking for something
>
> Yes, but chances that your something matches a nav bar term are low.
> Either if you find "Development" or "Create" you need to make an
> assumption before clicking.

Personally, I think if the probability the nav bar helps me find what
I'm looking for, then it's basically failed as a piece of UI. I mean,
that is the whole point of it, isn't it - finding specific things?

Otherwise, we effectively force people to search (either using the
search function, or manually clicking through pages) to find stuff, and
I know that personally drives me up the wall.

It just strikes me that attempting to distill the website taxonomy into
a set of single-word verbs should be a lower priority than coming up
with a navigation set which really helps people find stuff on the site.

It would be great to come up with a list of key tasks that new users and
old should be able to perform on the site, and test which setups work
best. E.g., for me, finding a tour of the latest release of GNOME would
be, as would accessing a web support forum.

The marketing-ness of the nav bar should really be a secondary concern,
imho.

Cheers,

Alex.