Re: wgo structure

On Wed, 9 Aug 2006 11:19:18 +0100 (BST)
Joachim Noreiko <jnoreiko yahoo com> wrote:

> None taken :)

Thanks. :-)

> I'm trying to think in terms of paths through the
> site. My scenarios are these:
>
> * new to GNOME: about, why choose, tour, screenshots
> * new users: tour, link to library, link to support
> forum
> * general users: resources for gnome: links to: art &
> themes, more software, support, etc
> * potential developers: not sure about this one
> * current developers: or this one

Cool! I also used a path model:

 1. New visitors probably want to know more about this thing called
GNOME. 'About' has the why, the tour, comments from others, an
introduction to products, etc. -- a sales folder for the general public.

 2. Then, you may want GNOME: 'Download' has links to the
LiveCD, to distributions, release notes, etc. I also thought about
calling it 'Install'.

 3. Then, you may need help: 'Support' has all the links.

 4. Then, you may want to get more active: 'Community' has the links.

 5. Then, you may want to contribute or start your own thing:
'Development' introduces live.gnome.org and library.gnome.org, and
provides pointers for third-party developers.  (I also thought about
calling it 'Technology' but Thos rejected it.)

 6. Then, you may want to know more about GNOME's legal aspects:
'Foundation' has it. Theoretically, this could be moved elsewhere but
there's a lot of content, so moving it would probably break a
three-level navigation.

 7. In some rare moments, you need to contact GNOME: Click 'contact'
and you get a snail mail adress, and some pointers to special
interest sections (press, etc.).

In other words: The most important sections are first, the less
important sections are last.

The section names are hopefully concrete enought so visitors will get an
initial idea, but not *that* concrete so we're still able to handel
additional stuff.

For example, you mentioned 'webmaster' in your draft: that could go into
'Contact'. You mentioned 'Certification': that could go into
development.

A sitemap link as mentioned by Quim could go into the footer -- it's a
usual place for sitemap links.

I admit 'Support' and 'Community' is a little bit fuzzy but we may point
to commerical support companies one day.

The navigation is usually just two levels deep, with about 8 pages or
sections each. There are just some exceptions like the tour, and the
release notes, and some foundation stuff, maybe, that makes a third
level necessary.

Overall, I think, the layout is sufficient.

Cheers,
Claus