Re: Create your own customised GNOME liveCD

Στις 25/Ιούλ/2005, ημέρα Δευτέρα και ώρα 16:54, ο/η Claus Schwarm
έγραψε:
> On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 15:45:37 +0100
> Simos Xenitellis <simos74 gmx net> wrote:
>

> > I cannot understand your point.
> >

> I'll try to explain.
>
> If we from the marketing group continue to use expressions as 'geek' or
> 'newbie', we'll be stuck in ongoing discussions without any progress.
>
> What do you mean by 'newbie', for example: A newbie to computers, a
> newbie to Linux, or a newbie to GNOME?
>
> Just because one may a newbie to Linux or GNOME, one may not be a newbie
> to computers. There are people with more than 10 years experience in
> Windows but never touched a Linux box. These people know how to
> handle a graphical user interface with trees, right-click menues, and
> the like.
>
> A computer beginner or infrequent user (less than 2 years Windows
> experience) is unlikely to be able to manage a Live CD on his own.
>
> Advanced computers users (more than 2 years Windows experience but less
> than 1 year Linux experience) can manage a LiveCD but they probably
> heard of Knoppix before -- at least in Germany. These people are likely
> to read PC journals.
>
> I wasn't speaking about the pros and cons of LiveCD's. I was talking
> about the mistakes we make if we don't think of advanced computer users!
> We start saying things like
>
> (1) "No one outside a core group of geeks knows what knoppix is.",
> (2) "calling it gnoppix is marketing to the wrong group", and
> (3) "calling it gnoppix is confusing to newbies."
>
> Now, (1) is wrong according to my experience, (2) needs some serious
> thinking, and (3) is wrong because a computer newbie hardly knows what
> 'Gnoppix', 'GNOME' or a 'LiveCD' is.
>
> Hopefully, this was a better description. If not, please let me know.

Now I have a better understanding of what you mean.
If you also listed your suggestions for action on the LiveCD, I would
have the full picture. As is, I can only conjecture that you would
rather have several LiveCDs for each focus group, and each LiveCD would
be branded accordingly.

But this is my conjecture and I would not like to debate without some
acknowledgement.

My feeling is we want to get ready now LiveCDs (one LiveCD per language)
with GNOME and it is implied that the baseline user that can figure out
how to boot from the CD drive, can see use it. If the user knows a bit
more than booting from the CD drive, she is not disqualified from using
the LiveCD.
If the user has no clue about computers, then the chances she got hold
of a GNOME LiveCD are very small. Probably someone who knows a bit more,
and gave the CD, will help out.

Read also below for the no-install option.

> Cheers,
> Claus
>
> P.S.: Speaking of LiveCDs in general: Without a graphical partion tool,
> and without a graphical installation assistent, the utility of LiveCDs
> for marketing are overestimated, IMHO.

Oops, my idea is that you cannot install from this GNOME LiveCD :)
If you want to install GNOME, you get it from a distribution.
I would not want to be in the position of supporting end-users who have
installed from the GNOME LiveCD.
Isn't that the current status?
The "GNOME LiveCD" should have one purpose, to demonstrate to the end
user what GNOME is, in their own language. And yes, each language has
its own LiveCD :).
Just like Ubuntu, they send you by post two CDs, an install CD and a
LiveCD.

Simos