Re: response to linus...?

Hi Santiago, Quim and others

Santiago Roza wrote:
>>If your enthusiasm may kill in one day what we are trying to build in
>>years, the least we could do is to warn you.
>

> it's not because of "one day", but because of the absolute lack of
> interest in key issues i see here.

The thread on *Linus suggests KDE for Desktop* has been using far too
many bytes on various mailing lists. While I singularly disapprove of
the tone used by Linus while talking about GNOME or making his points
about Usability, the one thing that bothered me was *is this worth
responding*.

/. for all it does well, does very well to pick up the hottest thread of
the day and beat it to death. All of us like the slashdot effect but how
much of it is serious content (I doubt that day by day) is another story.

I appreciate the eagerness and willingness shown by Santiago to frame
the letter and duly post it to Marketing-List *before* posting it to
public archives. Certainly some newbies would just love to read through
Linus's F**KING IDIOTS mails. The issue is too much of a troll and layup
for an official response. In fact the longish thread has trivialised it
to the level of vi-Emacs, perl-python wars that are inevitable on LUG lists.

Marketing should have 2 functions - strategic and semantic. The latter
role in this case would feel it is more prudent to wait it out and
provide inputs on the new releases.

I certainly enjoyed the replies and insights sent across by Havoc,
Blizzard and others. But Linus does not merit a response.

At least not today.

Regards
Sankarshan

--