Re: response to linus...?

> What exactly is it that you think that the marketing team can
> accomplish in this discussion that mailing list posts from jeff waugh
> and havoc pennington, hundreds of impassioned posts on slashdot, and
> hundreds of impassioned posts on blogs (totally ignoring the nearly
> four years of discussion behind this) have not already done?

many things, as a matter of fact:
- coverage: linus' rant had its own slashdot story, jeff's and havoc's
went to the mailing list archives and checked for the responses.
- seriousness: a calm, logical, non-controversial response will always
look more convincing than hundreds of "impassioned posts", which btw
only get read by 10% (or so) of the people who read the headline.
- coherence: even a pseudo-official response would make our points
sound more coherent than isolated mailing list replies, not to mention
it'd get to people who doesn't know who havoc is.
- exposure: it looks like a good opportunity for the marketing team to
get some public appearance, and at the same time start to take care of
real marketing issues, like public relations.

i guess i could try to add more, but it seems like you no one cares
much anyway, so whatever.

--
Santiago Roza
Departamento I+D - Thymbra