Re: [jokosher-devel] Run script for 0.2

Hmmm good point. The problem with the binary is if the edgy gstreamer is
using a different version of some third party library from dapper then this
might give symbol mismatches and segfaults etc. I was just thinking of
saving the pain for people a bit. At Linux World lots of people liked the
look of Jokosher and asked if they could just download it and run it. When
told they would also need CVS Gstreamer and compile it then that interest
tended to cool a little ;).

The idea behind the script is precisely that they don't have to worry
about that. I appreciate that they will have to install a load of
dependencies (gcc, make, liboil-dev, millions of other dev libraries)
but once they've done that (and I think what we might say is "on
ubuntu, run 'apt-get build-deps gstreamer gnonlin' " or similar), but
after that they don't have to care that they need to compile it; they
just run the Jokosher script and it does all the work for them. This
isn't a perfect solution by any means, but unfortunately the perfect
solution isn't available to us, because Jokosher doesn't work with any
released version of GStreamer, and working versions aren't in distros
yet. This is a workaround for that problem.

sil

--
New Year's Day --
everything is in blossom!