Re: [jokosher-devel] Run script for 0.2

On Tue, Nov 07, 2006 at 09:55:22AM +0000, Stuart Langridge wrote:
> I'd like to avoid that, but I can't think of a way of doing it. As far
> as I'm aware, it's not easy to build a deb of gstreamer that is a
> *private* gst install; we'd be replacing the system gstreamer, which

The deb would probably install into /opt or similar an run without
interfering with other apps. OK you'd need root access but that shouldn't be
a problem. If you install anything else you need root access. GStreamer is
not that straightforward to build correctly. For instance you can run it
right through without errors and then find you can't play files in MP3
format because you didn't have libmad dev files installed when you built and
you didn't see that particular message in all the mass of output. And if
you're scripting the process then you're even less likely to be watching
when that line scrolls by. Your script will have to be very careful that
*every* required dev package is there before the build starts.
--
John Green