Re: [jokosher-devel] Run script for 0.2

The deb would probably install into /opt or similar an run without
interfering with other apps. OK you'd need root access but that shouldn't be
a problem.

It will be a problem, though. I'd really like to not require root
access to try stuff out. What's the benefit of installing into /opt?
Providing debs only works on one specific Ubuntu release anyway; are
you proposing we provide dapper, edgy, and etch debs, and Fedora and
SuSE rpms? We've suddenly become upstream GStreamer maintainers, which
sounds like a really bad idea to me.

If you install anything else you need root access. GStreamer is
not that straightforward to build correctly. For instance you can run it
right through without errors and then find you can't play files in MP3
format because you didn't have libmad dev files installed when you built and
you didn't see that particular message in all the mass of output. And if
you're scripting the process then you're even less likely to be watching
when that line scrolls by. Your script will have to be very careful that
*every* required dev package is there before the build starts.

Yes. However, I'm not sure we need *everything*. I'd like the
resultant Jokosher to play mp3s and oggs and wav; if it misses a few
more obscure formats then, well, whatever. 0.2 is still to some extent
a technology preview. We can't make it all work swimmingly until it's
integrated into distributions, which is a goal for 1.0, not 0.2.

sil

--
<muntyan> what's the point in embedding emacs anyway? it's like
         embedding rocket ship into toyota camry