Re: virtual signal system ?

On Sat, 2006-11-11 at 17:09 +0100, Bo Lorentsen wrote:
> Murray Cumming wrote:
>
> > I'm not aware of significant performance problems on regular desktop
> > PCs. For embedded hardware, this API is optional at build time.
> Hmm, I found some discussion on the net, of the cost of gtkmm (i need to
> find the link, sorry) and the overhead of the library. And I have been
> using the lib for some minor projects and was a bit worried about the
> cost of "empty signal function" if some of the projects scaled up.
>
> Just think about projects like k3d, the number of empty signal functions
> must me enormous !

k3d has nothing on ardour (http://ardour.org/), where we have upwards of
2000 widgets visible on the screen sometimes. from a theoretical
perspective, the design in GFC is interesting and appears more efficient
in terms of space. however, i cannot honestly say that i have ever
detected the size of the virtual function tables in gtkmm to be a
problem, or even a hint of a problem.

--p