Re: virtual signal system ?

Paul Davis wrote:

k3d has nothing on ardour (http://ardour.org/), where we have upwards of
2000 widgets visible on the screen sometimes. from a theoretical
perspective, the design in GFC is interesting and appears more efficient
in terms of space. however, i cannot honestly say that i have ever
detected the size of the virtual function tables in gtkmm to be a
problem, or even a hint of a problem.
Hmm, so this kind of modeling only makes sense in an embedded environment where the resources are limited ?

If a standard widget class holds about 50 unused virtual functions, that is an extra 200 bytes in 32 bit, and 400 in 64 bit. In your case this will ends up using 200 * 2000 = 400 K bytes in 32 bit and 800K in 64 bit.

I know RAM is cheap, but this is a big chunk of memory to use for nothing at all :-) But yes ... ram is cheap, and that is a valid argument too.

Regarding speed, the model may be a bit pedantic, as the empty C++ function not really take up many CPU ticks, and we gain more user performance from proper usage of threads :-)

As Gtkmm is not primary for embedded applications, I guess this model is not worth it, at current point in time.

It is a nice and usefull peace of software anyway !

/BL