Re: road to gtkmm 2.10

On 7/25/06, Murray Cumming <murrayc murrayc com> wrote:
> I have committed a preliminary chapter to the tutorial for recent
> files, but I think the example needs quite a bit of work (for one
> thing, It doesn't even seem to show the recent files dialog when you
> click the menu item).  I'm thinking about overhauling that example to
> simply use a Gtk::RecentChooserWidget packed into a window (maybe as a
> sidebar).

I'd prefer to use the standard dialog if we are going to show a dialog.
Can't we just make it work?

Yes, we certainly could.

>  Right now there seems to be too much menu / toolbar code
> that distracts from the goal of the example: using the recent items
> stuff.  Is it OK if I make some changes to this example?

Well, I'd like it to be as much like a real world use as possible. But I'm
not sure how useful it is without a sub menu anyway.

I agree about the real-world usage, but that's why I don't really like
the popup dialog.  I guess by far the most common use case for recent
files would be as a 'File > Recent Files' menu / submenu, but since we
can't do this easily yet, I guess we have to go for the next best use
case.  I honestly can't see anybody actually using a popup dialog for
something like this (at least I know I would never use this dialog in
applications I write -- it would annoy me to have a little window pop
up just for this).  On the other hand, I could potentially see
somebody using a sidebar in their application to quickly switch
between recently opened documents (MS office for instance has
something like this).  But I don't feel all that strongly about it, so
I'll just get the current example working if you'd like me to.

--
jonner