Re: road to gtkmm 2.10

On Wed, 2006-07-05 at 11:10 -0500, Jonathon Jongsma wrote:
> Gtk+ 2.10 is out now, so I thought I'd start a thread on what's needed
> before a 2.10 release of gtkmm.

Great. I'm starting to think about it now too.

As usual, I'd like to stick to the GNOME release schedule
http://live.gnome.org/TwoPointFifteen
which means API freeze on July 24th and release on September 6th. I'd
only want to release sooner if we are very confident, but there's a lot
of new API and not a lot of people looking at it.

> - Since 2.10 will depend on cairomm for the first time, we need to
> release a stable version of cairomm.  I've been working on getting
> cairomm into shape, but it could always use a few more eyes.  I've
> wrapped the majority of the new API in cairo 1.2 in the last couple of
> days and I'll try to release a snapshot very soon.  If you have any
> feedback on cairomm, feel free to send it to the cairo mailing list
> (http://cairographics.org/lists) or file a bug against cairomm on
> freedesktop.org
> (https://bugs.freedesktop.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=cairomm).

Yeah, it's in quite good shape but there are some TODOs in the code, and
the issue of maybe doing an internal refcount of the Path object, as per
Owen Taylor's suggestion.

> - Are there any new GTK+ API that still need to be wrapped before 2.10
> is released?

Yeah, there's quite a few functions here and there. gmmproc reports them
during the build.

>   I know there's been some effort to wrap the new printing
> stuff and Recent files.

Both of these need working examples. I believe that Markoa is working on
printing examples.

We need to figure out how to do UIManager recent-files sub-menu
integration for an example. Apparently it's possible.

www.openismus.com