Re: [gtkmm] gtkmm RPMs for Fedora Core 2; peless, please try it out.

On Thu, 2004-06-03 at 21:23 +0200, Murray Cumming wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-06-03 at 15:10 -0400, Julian Missig wrote:

> > > That's not how I understand the situation. I understand that fedora is
> > > merger of the redhat linux project and fedora.us. They are not properly
> > > merged yet, but I think that fedora.us is far more official than any
> > > other set of rpms. But fedora are still the people to talk to.
> >
> > Fedora Core is a merger of the Red Hat Linux Project and fedora.us,
> > Yes. However, it is not the Official Fedora Core repository (and
> > mirrors) which have gtkmm. Fedora.us hosts BOTH the Official Fedora
> > Core repository and its own "third-pary" repository of "add-on" RPMs.
> > Guess where you'll find gtkmm. The fedora.us add-on repository is no
> > more official than freshrpms.
>
> I disagree. Red Hat Linux Project did not merge with Freshrpms.

I do seem to have largely over-estimated the connection between fedora.
us and fedora.redhat.com. The link seems to be much weaker than I
thought. Here's some representative opinions from irc:

<murrayc> So is this statement crack, like I think it is?: "The fedora.
us add-on repository is no more official than freshrpms." Or have I
totally misunderstood.
<jdub> murrayc: they're as disenfranchised as each other
<jdub> haw haw haw
<luis> fedora.us is totally non-official
<telsa> murrayc: in what sense? that sounds sort of what I understood.
<murrayc> luis: So there's zero route from fedora.us to fedora?
<murrayc> I am going to have to apologise to someone then.
<luis> well, except that they hired warren togami :)
<murrayc> So, there is no way whatsoever for the community to package
new stuff for fedora?
<kms> murrayc: I think the long term plan (and that might be very long)
is the fedora.us will feed fedora
<jdub> murrayc: there isn't even a cvs server for all the packages

Sorry. But still, talk to Fedora. Doing nothing will get people nothing.