Re: [gtkmm] gtkmm RPMs for Fedora Core 2; peless, please try it out.

On 3 Jun, 2004, at 15:02, Murray Cumming wrote:

On Thu, 2004-06-03 at 12:04 -0400, Julian Missig wrote:
Fedora.us is NOT "official" fedora. Fedora.us's gtkmm RPMs are just as
official as those in freshrpms. It's a repository just like any "third
party" Debian repository.

That's not how I understand the situation. I understand that fedora is a
merger of the redhat linux project and fedora.us. They are not properly
merged yet, but I think that fedora.us is far more official than any
other set of rpms. But fedora are still the people to talk to.

Fedora Core is a merger of the Red Hat Linux Project and fedora.us, Yes. However, it is not the Official Fedora Core repository (and mirrors) which have gtkmm. Fedora.us hosts BOTH the Official Fedora Core repository and its own "third-pary" repository of "add-on" RPMs. Guess where you'll find gtkmm. The fedora.us add-on repository is no more official than freshrpms.

I don't disagree that the Fedora people are the appropriate ones to talk to, I've done so on several occasions. Quite a few of them are still of the opinion that as a general rule they don't like to include libraries if they're not including an app which depends on them. We need to keep pushing them to get gtkmm including in the Official repository.

My whole point, though, was that the freshrpms versions of gtkmm are no "worse" or "better" than what's available in fedora.us -- you have to /add the additional repository/ to your sources list either way. You should be familiar with the concept from Debian--it's the same thing...

Julian