Re: [gtkmm] gtkmm RPMs for Fedora Core 2; peless, please try it out.

On Thu, 2004-06-03 at 15:10 -0400, Julian Missig wrote:
> On 3 Jun, 2004, at 15:02, Murray Cumming wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2004-06-03 at 12:04 -0400, Julian Missig wrote:
> >> Fedora.us is NOT "official" fedora. Fedora.us's gtkmm RPMs are just as
> >> official as those in freshrpms. It's a repository just like any "third
> >> party" Debian repository.
> >
> > That's not how I understand the situation. I understand that fedora is
> > merger of the redhat linux project and fedora.us. They are not properly
> > merged yet, but I think that fedora.us is far more official than any
> > other set of rpms. But fedora are still the people to talk to.
>
> Fedora Core is a merger of the Red Hat Linux Project and fedora.us,
> Yes. However, it is not the Official Fedora Core repository (and
> mirrors) which have gtkmm. Fedora.us hosts BOTH the Official Fedora
> Core repository and its own "third-pary" repository of "add-on" RPMs.
> Guess where you'll find gtkmm. The fedora.us add-on repository is no
> more official than freshrpms.

I disagree. Red Hat Linux Project did not merge with Freshrpms.

> I don't disagree that the Fedora people are the appropriate ones to
> talk to, I've done so on several occasions. Quite a few of them are
> still of the opinion that as a general rule they don't like to include
> libraries if they're not including an app which depends on them. We
> need to keep pushing them to get gtkmm including in the Official
> repository.

No, as I understand it, they just haven't completed the merge yet. The
merge will make this issue irrelevant, or you'll be arguing about what
goes on the CD/DVDs instead. It should then be equivalent to debian,
which does not have this problem.

> My whole point, though, was that the freshrpms versions of gtkmm are no
> "worse" or "better" than what's available in fedora.us -- you have to
> /add the additional repository/ to your sources list either way. You
> should be familiar with the concept from Debian--it's the same thing...

You don't need non-official packages to get gtkmm on debian.