Re: [gtkmm] porting projects from gtkmm-1.2 to gtkmm2

On Tue, 2003-01-14 at 13:40, Leandro Fanzone wrote:
> Murray Cumming wrote:
>
> >That doesn't make much sense to me. If you wanted API stability then you
> >could just stay with API-stable gtkmm 1.2. Nothing forces you to use
> >gtkmm 2. I can't see why the existence of gtkmm2 would make you want to
> >stop using gtkmm 1.2.
> >

> >I suspect you were really thinking "We feel like updating to a newer API
> >so let's choose which new API to use.". That suggests that you were
> >ready to do some work anyway.
> >

> That's completely unfair.

I'm sorry for sounding harsh. I wanted to point out that gtkmm is not an
unstable API, because not everyone knows how disciplined we are.

> On the one hand, I said I was forced to change
> because we had some problems with the antialiasing fonts. We had to move
> on to a platform where such feature was supported, and the natural
> choice was of course the next version of gtk. On other other hand,
> countless times I have seen in this list "listen boy, while you are
> using gtkmm 1.2, do not expect any help from this list. That's
> obsolete."

We just like to tell people the reality so they don't just feel ignored.
Anyone is free to help people with gtkmm 1.2 issues, but the core
developers don't feel the need to spend time on it unless you pay them.

>  In fact, Vishal began this thread when he was faced with an
> answer more or less on those terms. Hence what forces people to stop
> using gtkmm 1.2, not "we feel like updating things". It has no
> importance if you want to stick to the stable API envirornment.
> Perhaps most of the people who use gtkmm work in small projects, I don't
> know. To port a relatively large project from 1.2 to 2.0 is not add two
> and two, and the more you stick with 1.2, the more it will cost the
> porting, and eventually you know you are being pushed to, at the risk of
> being regarded as an obsolete developer in case you want to ask for a
> silly question.

I don't really see an alternative though.

murray usa net