Re: Gtk2-Extras

* Kevin C. Krinke <kckrinke opendoorsoftware com> [2004-09-21 16:11]:
On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 05:15, A. Pagaltzis wrote:
I don't particularly like this, mostly on grounds of all the
social implications. In my opinion, the Gtk2::Ex and ::Simple
names carry too much weight and should be reserved to the
Gtk2-Perl team.

What kind of weight do they carry? In particular I don't understand how
::Simple carries any weight when for instance instead of
Gtk2::Ex::Simple::Dialogs I could use Gtk2::Ex::Dialogs which has
already been suggested by Ross[0] (which BTW is looking better and
better every day) before we even opened the can-o-::Simple::-worms. What
makes ::Simple so special that it has social weight?

Besides, this proposal insists on there never being a Gtk2::Ex.pm or a
Gtk2::Ex::Simple.pm, only the potential for packages but they can easily
be replaced by bundles if that's your contention.

This was actually all I was saying -- there should be no
Gtk2::Ex.pm and no Gtk2::Ex::Simple.pm unless maintained by the
Gtk2-Perl team (you hadn't pointed out the latter explicitly; I
mentioned that you said ). I guess I wasn't clear enough.

Yes. And Bundle::Gtk2::Ex would collect everything from the
namespace. Overall, that keeps everyone out of each other's
face.

So, my question is then, A) who maintains the bundle and B) how
do we avoid being in that person's face?

It doesn't really matter. What I meant by staying out of each
other's faces is that apart from possibly getting blessings for
the name of a module to be in Gtk2::Ex::, the actual development
shouldn't require coordination/cooperation with anyone else,
anyone should just upload their stuff to CPAN.

As for the other modules you want to write, it's your call
whether they belong together or should be distributed
separately.

*shrugs* I was trying to iron things out with people like Carl
that may be contributing to those modules in some way. Perhaps
I should restrict myself to private emails and stay out of this
list's face except when absolutely necessary?

I simply meant that I honestly don't know whether you "should"
package them all in a single distribution or have a separate one
for each module. And I meant to say that if the structure for
Gtk2::Ex:: remains loose, then it's really your call as to what
you find preferrable.

* Kevin C. Krinke <kckrinke opendoorsoftware com> [2004-09-21 19:17]:
Now that I've had some time to cool down from a bad morning
(unrelated to this list/thread) and re-read all of my emails I
realize that perhaps my tone was inappropriate and/or
condescending.

I apologise if I have offended anyone in any way.

It's okay, I should have been a little more wordy myself.

Regards,
--
Aristotle
"If you can't laugh at yourself, you don't take life seriously enough."