Re: GTK+ on Mac OS X status

On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 11:21:10 -0500
Paul Davis <paul linuxaudiosystems com> wrote:

> most people who work with GTK don't do much work with Qt and vice
> versa, so its a bit hard to answer "is it on par".

OK. Not owning Mac, I also cannot discern how native are either Qt or
GTK+.

> this application is written in GTK and runs on Linux, BSD, OS X and
> Windows: http://ardour.org/

Kudos to you and all devs working on such gorgeous app!

> there are very few problems with GTK on OS X at this time. the ones
> that exist are relatively minor, though for specific apps they might
> be important.

Good.

> native appearance is not something that is important to my application
> (pro-audio apps, even the ones from Apple, don't look like "apple"
> apps).

Good point.

> support for native appearance is not particularly strong,
> though there is a theme engine that will provide appearance close to
> native Quartz.

How easy is to deploy it?

> recent versions of GTK now support platform-centric
> modifier key behaviour for modifier+key bindings that are built into
> GTK (so, for example, it will use Command-foo on OS X rather than
> Ctrl-foo).

That's nice to hear.

> there is no particularly viable way to access "native" file selection
> browsing, but given the way that apple has changed the way these
> dialogs work several times themselves (some versions of OS X even come
> with 2 different implementations with very different appearance), i
> don't see this as a huge obstacle.

Thank you very much for your input.

Sincerely,
Gour

--
But a person free from all attachment and aversion and able
to control his senses through regulative principles of