Re: Japanese Display for gtk+-1.2.9

So does it mean that our X-server is capable of displaying japanese fonts???

When we tried to rename the /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts from the FRV which is accessing the host PCs dillo application using x-server of FRV, dillo can display japanese fonts. So Mr Tor has a point that it is not using the font accessing of our X-server target.

I am also suspecting the installation of gtk in our target. I already installed gettext and it detects it. but still it can't display japanese.

I also found out in our config.cache file of cross compiled gtk package which contains
  _func_mmap_fixed_mapped=${ac_cv_func_mmap_fixed_mapped=no}

While in PC side. this option was set to yes.  If you have any idea about this, does it affect gtk's font access???

About message catalog, gtk+.mo is found at our $PREFIX/share/locale/ja/LC_MESSAGES directory and also, gettext is installed at the same prefix (PREFIX=/opt/gtk-dillo).

On 10/25/05, Tor Lillqvist <tml iki fi> wrote:
Xyber Blue writes:
> So it understood that the x-server from which the application
> displayed is from our target system, not the PC host system.

The X server is what directly controls the display in question.

> By the way, we follow the steps on what Mr Suzuki said. We tried to run
> dillo which is installed from the host PC to our target.

I don't know what "dillo" is, but...

> After trying the following steps, when executing the dillo from the
> PC to our target, dillo can display japanese text on its gtk
> widgets. Now I am confused, what gtk toolkit did the dillo from
> host PC used???

It uses GTK on the machine where it runs, i.e . the "host PC". If it
uses GTK 1.2, it uses server-side fonts only (i.e., fonts accessed by
the X server running on the "target"), as far as I know, but somebody
else should confirm this. Later GTK and Pango versions use client-side
fonts.

> Im really confused on the way the host PC application executes to
> the target. When we tried to rename the X11R6 directory, dillo
> fails to execute.  Why did this happen???

You renamed which X11R6 directory, the one on the "host PC" or the
"target"? If you renamed the X11R6 directory on the "host PC", X
client software like dillo won't find their shared libraries.

> So does it mean that the x-server libraries from our target is not
> really the one which the host PC dillo is using???

Hmm, "x-server library" doesn't really mean anything. If you mean the
X11 and GTK shared libraries (typically libX11.so, libgtk.so, etc),
then the dillo program uses the libraries from the same machine where
it runs. And the X server uses libraries on the machine where it
runs. The X server does not use many of libraries that X clients use,
especially not libX11.so, and of course no GTK libraries either.

--tml