Re: Japanese Display for gtk+-1.2.9

 Thanks for the info Mr Tor, I was really amazed about this and have not expected this capability of the X-Server. So it understood that the x-server from which the application displayed is from our target system, not the PC host system.

By the way, we follow the steps on what Mr Suzuki said. We tried to run dillo which is installed from the host PC to our target. After trying the following steps, when executing the dillo from the PC to our target, dillo can display japanese text on its gtk widgets. Now I am confused, what gtk toolkit did the dillo from host PC used??? Did it used also our cross compiled gtk??? or it using the PC host compiled gtk-1.2???

Im really confused on the way the host PC application executes to the target. When we tried to rename the X11R6 directory, dillo fails to execute. Why did this happen??? So does it mean that the x-server libraries from our target is not really the one which the host PC dillo is using???

On 10/25/05, Tor Lillqvist <tml iki fi> wrote:
Xyber Blue writes:
> When we try some testgtk from PC, it display in our target and we can't
> pipoint exactly the x-server it used.

The X server used is the one controlling the display where the windows
appear. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_Window_System

Many people get confused by the terms "server" and "client" as used in
X11. But it really is very simple. The display and input devices like
keyboard and mouse are managed by the X server, which runs on the very
machine that the display and input devices are attached to (ignoring
stuff like xnest or Sun Ray -style lightweight framebuffer terminals
for now).

X clients (applications) like xterm, testgtk or GIMP can run on any
machine in the net. Running them on the same machine where the X
server runs is just a special (albeit very common) case. Even the
window manager is just another X client, not even it has to run on the
same machine as the X server.

This is all very mature technology, from the 80s. The main idea behind
X11 is that it is a network protocol, it's sad if this is being
forgotten...

--tml