RE: so, is this claim about pango still true? or does nobody actually care?

It depends on your purpose.
If you're writing a small application with a fairly limited audience
then rendering international text is irrelevant.
For example I'm writing a small program at present only I and maybe a
hundred others at the most will use.  I will probably never even find
someone who wants it to work in another language than english, let alone
anyone to give me translations.

If your writing a big app like a word processor then it's a useful thing
to have.