Re: glib install problems

Sven Neumann wrote:
Well, if you want to get rid of the glib-2.2 installation, then you
should remove _all_ files, not only the libraries. Keeping the header
files around may lead to some obscure problems later that are less
obvious to debug than wrong library versions. And even if you removed
the header files, there's more left like for example the files
installed for pkg-config.
Either you go for replacing the 2.2 versions which means you should
take care of uninstalling them completely. But I would not recommened
fiddling with any files in your /usr prefix. You can go for a parallel
installation instead and adapt your build environment so that the new
libraries and their header files are being used. To do that, you
usually set the CFLAGS, LDFLAGS, LD_LIBRARY_PATH and PKG_CONFIG_PATH
environment variables. Since you said you aren't clueless, you should
be able to proceed from here...

Well, I'm not clueless, but that doesn't mean I know everything, either. Why don't you recommend fiddling with the stuff in /usr?

I would rather have just one version installed, but I gather that removing the old version is going to break some of my currently installed apps. (As I said, I temporarily removed just a few files from /usr/lib/ and already lots of apps won't run.)

What is the long-term solution? Is it possible to remove the old version completely, and somehow tell my already-installed apps to use the new version from now on?

This is why I say it's a nightmare. I install just about everything from source, and glib/gtk is the only thing that consistently gives me problems. I should be able to just have them installed in one place, and upgrade them when they need it, without having to worry about breaking all my apps or having to manage two separate installations in two places.

-Anthony
http://nodivisions.com/