Re: glib install problems

Hi,

Anthony DiSante <orders nodivisions com> writes:

> As if the whole gtk/glib nightmare weren't confusing enough, glib-2.2
> and glib-2.4 etc install themselves in directories named glib-2.0.
> That could be your problem.

No, it isn't.

Also, there isn't any gtk/glib nightmare, you are just clueless.
Perhaps you want to make yourself familiar with the way the compiler
and linker works or alternatively, stick to binary packages.

> I'm going through the same upgrades (for gimp 2) that you are now.  I
> apparently had glib-2.2.3 installed at /usr/lib/, and when I installed
> 2.4 it went to /usr/local/lib/.  So I deleted these (glib-2.3) files:
>
> /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.la
> /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so
> /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
> /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0.200.3
> /usr/lib/glib-2.0/

Deleting these files wasn't such a good idea. Who told you to do that?

> That made the error message go away.  Of course, now none of my
> programs will start (rox (file manager), gftp, thunderbird, etc),
> and gtk+-2.4.0's make is dying with some obscure error, so my entire
> system is borked.

Make sure that /usr/local/lib is in /etc/ld.so.conf (before /usr/lib)
and run ldconfig. That might fix it.

Sven