Re: [gtk-list] Re: Gnome/GtkCanvas (was Re: gtk_args_collect & gnome--)

> The canvas widget should not (and does not as far as I now) set the
> policies that lead to a consistent desktop.

Marius, you are still avoiding the main point of my previous posting:
By keeping the GnomeCanvas on the Gnome libraries, we encourage people
to try out the Gnome Libraries.

Those Gnome Libraries in some cases add policy, and this gives us
consistency.  The Gnome Canvas is not one of the policy widgets, but
that is not the point.  The point is we want people to use more the
Gnome Libraries, and thus we want to make the Gnome Libraries
attractive to developers.  The Canvas is definetly a candy that makes
it attractive.

> That's a very weak argument.  If GNOME has that low of a profile than
> much more serious things have gone wrong.  I don't think that GNOME
> gets too little press or that the people who matter are too confused
> about what it is or what it can do.

I would like to get input on what has gone wrong.  I know the library
dependencies of GNOME is something that makes the curve a little more
steep is one of the problems.

Installing those libraries is a one time deal though.

> You say that X11 font rendering sucks and you want to solve that.  So,
> I infer from this that Gtk is already at too *high* a level for the
> kind of code you want to write.  This stuff ought to get fixed at the
> XServer/xlib level.

I am thinking "printing" here.  The Xlib and the Xserver have not
proved to be of any use at all for printing information.

> But I want this recent and exciting movement towards the
> desktop to be as strong as possible.  I want us to `win' for the right
> reasons.  The stuff we do now should be able to outlive X11, Linux,
> Unix, C, electron-computers, carbon-based lifeforms, Star-Trek re-runs
> and 2 digit year fields.

Ok, this is a convincing argument and thus I am willing to rename the
widget to GtkCanvas.

I do not want to move it for two reasons:

	1. We want to use it to give gnome-libs more exposure.

	2. We want to have more control over it while we develop some
	   important GNOME applications.

In the long term, I would not mind doing the move.

Hope this settles the problem down.

Miguel.
--
miguel@gnu.org