VDK & Gtk--, was: yet another gtk+ C++ wrapper

Hi you,

I'd like to comment on this topic.

Gtk-- is a very lowlevel support for Gtk since it maps the C API to an decent
C++ class hierarchy.
Gtk-- was not invented by OO design from scratch but copied the gtk+ design
(which was OO).

So it is possible to do a highlevel wrapper for gtk+, and I would certainly
appreciate such a beast.

But the only bad things about Gtk-- are: no documentation on most widgets, no
real sample programs (I don't count my glade-- examples and the tiny pieces
within gtk--).
(If you want to know how menu support might work within gtk-- look at the
newest glade-- examples (test8?). It's really elaborated.)

I had a first look at VDK. It has many examples, the documentation is brief
(and looks ugly within netscape) but there. The examples look too colourful for
Gtk-Apps (both pro and con).
The signal number #defines look a bit odd to me (how can anyone in his sane
mind do this within an OO environment ...) ;-)

I'll take a closer look once VDK is evolving.

Besides that gtk-- needs some fresh air (doku and example programs are really
needed). How many people are involved in gtk--'s development? Four, Five? Count
me in. Are there any apps? I would happily provide some real (commercial) world
examples (GPL) now, but they rely on Adabas D as a backend. Take me serious!

Conclusion: If this so called 'competitor' stirs up the sleep of gtk--, the
better.
But I would call VDK an competitor for wxWindows/Gtk (which I don't know) or
V/Gtk (announced, but not realized?).

Christof (maintainer of glade--)

PS: Any volunteers for glade->VDK? I offer my help.