Re: [gtk-list] Re: Canvas.

>On Tue, Sep 08, 1998 at 04:54:13PM -0500, Miguel de Icaza wrote:
>> > I agree with owen here ... the canvas has nothing "gnome specific"
>> > it's a fairly general use widget and as such it should be in gtk
>> > or belong to gtk "in spirit" .... Gnome widgets usually set policy
>> > ... the canvas doesn't ...
>>
>> It uses Imlib.  And in the future, it will use one or more font
>> rendering engines.  As I mentioned previously, crippling the gnome
>> canvas just because someone wants to move to Gtk is a bad idea.
>
>in that case it should be in gnome libs then :) ...
>
>how about a compromise though .. split gnome canvas into two widgets,
>a simple gtkcanvas .... and then derive a gnomecanvas from that ...
>the gtk canvas would have the rudimentary stuff, the gnome canvas would
>add font and image support and other stuff that is gnommish ...

That's something I agree with. gtk_canvas with basic canvas support and
gnome_canvas with imlib, font rendering and all gnome goodies.

Let me explain why I like this idea:

I am using Perl/Gtk to code small GUI frontends for configuring some Linux
services. Sometime I need just the basic {gnome|gtk}_canvas stuff. Handling
canvas configuration(resize) and expose events from Perl/Gtk is slow and not
something I like to see in interpreted environments.

gtk_canvas in Gtk+ library is something I *really* miss. I don't want to
install gnome-libs just because of this widget (BTW I am unable to compile
gnome-libs out of CVS because my RH 5.0 has broken zlib, but that's for
another mailing list ;). Sooner or later tools I write will *have* to switch
to Gnome but right now I don't feel like it :). Forcing people to add Gnome
support just because of one widget is Bad Idea (TM) IMHO. Let them switch to
Gnome because other good things it provides. Gnome is natural path to go
when you use Gtk+ anyway.

>that would give gtk only users a basic canvas, and you could still add
>more gnome type stuff on the gnome side

Agree! 100%!

>George

bb4now,