Re: Pango Multilingual Input Reading

On Sat, Jan 10, 2004 at 10:48:27PM +0100, Pablo Saratxaga wrote:
> Kaixo!
>
> On Sat, Jan 10, 2004 at 06:11:46PM +0000, Dave Malcolm wrote:
> > I've wondered about this one for ages - what exactly is "Thai
> > (Broken)"?  Is it a Thai input method that doesn't work very well, or
> > does it mean something else?
>
> It's for those that still use broken keyboard definition maps that use
> latin alphabet letters with accents in place of proper thai keysysm.
>
> Eg: instead of typing in thai, you type things like "aacute", "ccedilla"
> etc, which obviously is broken, and the gtk input methods translate to
> thai, using the position of the latin symbols in iso-8859-1, and
> assuming they meant to be the thai symbol at the same position in
> tis-620.

Somehow, it also works with the genuine Thai keysyms.
So this appears "just-work", not "broken" to Thai users with old or new
XKB maps. It "just works" because usual Thai input methods also provide
input sequence check, or even correction, as discussed in Bug #81031.

<OT>
libthai [1] provides some code sharing between Pango modules and GTK+
input modules for Thai. It's still experimental, anyway.
Seeing Hiura San mentioned the IIIMF, I'm also interested in
experimenting with it.
</OT>

-Thep.
--