Re: Pango Multilingual Input Reading

> Pango doesn't do anything with input. If you are using gtk+,
> internationalized input is pretty much taken care of.

Far from it.  Right clicking on a GTK+ 2.2.4 text field gives me a
choice of

   Amharic (EZ +)
   Cyrillic (Transliterated)
   Hangul (KSC 5601)
   Inukitut (Transliterated) [typo for Inuktitut?]
   Thai (Broken) [sic!]
   Tigrinya-Eritrean (EZ +)
   Tigrinya-Ethiopen (EZ +)
   Vietnamese (VIQR)
   X Input Method

That doesn’t exactly cover the world’s writing systems.  Notably
missing are the Indian scripts (that I assume the original poster
was particularly interested in and for which he would have to
download an input method separately somewhere – check out the
Indix Project); and the Chinese writing system (for which one
would have to go through an external input method engine, and I
have not yet found a single one that works satisfactorily _and_
does so in a UTF-8 locale).  Many of the other missing scripts are
covered through the XKB files (and panel switch applets) that come
with distributions.

Relatedly, where how can I set the GTK+ default input method
permanently to XIM?

Stefan Baums
Asian Languages and Literature
University of Washington