Re: setting up a gtk dev environment

On Mon, 2008-07-28 at 10:06 -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-07-27 at 14:40 -0400, Patrick Hallinan wrote:

> > > "no dice" doesn't really add up to a bug report on jhbuild. hundreds,
> > > perhaps thousands, of people use that as a way to build and maintain the
> > > GTK stack from svn. what was your problem with it?
> > >

> > I guess you are saying that I should be using jhbuild to get a gtk+
> > build environment?
> >
> > I'm using the subversion trunk for jhbuild which I didn't assume was
> > stable.  I get the output below when I try "jhbuild bootstrap"
>
> In general, I'd strongly recommend against jhbuild bootstrap. It:
>
>  - May install older versions of components than your system versions,
>    causing weird problems
>  - Increases the total amount of things you are building, giving
>    more possibilities for failure.
>
> It is definitely a bad idea for Fedora 9, which has nice shiny new
> versions of everything. So blow away your install directory and
> start over without the bootstrap, and you'll be happier.
>
>  http://live.gnome.org/JhbuildDependencies/FedoraCore
>
> Has information about what packages you need to install for Fedora.

I had ignored the FedoraCore link on the jhbuild page because it
indicated FedoraCore and not Fedora.  I thought that it was old.

I installed the missing dependencies and jhbuild sanitycheck gives this:

    [patrick localhost fontconfig-2.6.0]$ jhbuild sanitycheck
    automake-1.8 not found
    automake-1.9 not found

I ignored that and tried "jhbuild gtk+' but the first package
(fontconfig-2.6.0) failed to build.  I think that this is the first
error:

    In file included from ../fontconfig/fcfreetype.h:27,
                 from fcftint.h:26,
                 from fcfreetype.c:48:
    /usr/include/ft2build.h:56:38: error: freetype/config/ftheader.h:
    No such file or directory

Fedora 9 has fontconfig-2.5.0-2.  I guess I will file a bug against
jhbuild if I can figure out how to.