setting up a gtk dev environment

Hi,

I wish to help with the development of gtk+ but I'm not having any fun
trying to setup a build environment for gtk+.  I've looked for help at
www.gtk.org/development.html and developer.gnome.org. I have tried using
jhbuild from  http://svn.gnome.org/svn/jhbuild/trunk. No dice.  Is there
help documentation somewhere?  I'd prefer to not have to checkout
individual dependencies, maintain each of them up-to-date and manually
configure environmental and such so that they find each other.

I am running Fedora 9.  I was thinking that I might need to install
rawhide and have a go with that something.  Any help would be very
appreciated.

Thanks,

Pat.