Re: setting up a gtk dev environment

On Sun, 2008-07-27 at 14:40 -0400, Patrick Hallinan wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-07-27 at 14:24 -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> > On Sun, 2008-07-27 at 14:08 -0400, Patrick Hallinan wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I wish to help with the development of gtk+ but I'm not having any fun
> > > trying to setup a build environment for gtk+.  I've looked for help at
> > > and I have tried using
> > > jhbuild from No dice.
> >
> > "no dice" doesn't really add up to a bug report on jhbuild. hundreds,
> > perhaps thousands, of people use that as a way to build and maintain the
> > GTK stack from svn. what was your problem with it?
> >
> I guess you are saying that I should be using jhbuild to get a gtk+
> build environment?
> I'm using the subversion trunk for jhbuild which I didn't assume was
> stable.  I get the output below when I try "jhbuild bootstrap"

In general, I'd strongly recommend against jhbuild bootstrap. It:

 - May install older versions of components than your system versions,
   causing weird problems
 - Increases the total amount of things you are building, giving
   more possibilities for failure.

It is definitely a bad idea for Fedora 9, which has nice shiny new
versions of everything. So blow away your install directory and
start over without the bootstrap, and you'll be happier.

Has information about what packages you need to install for Fedora.

- Owen