Re: no "File", "Edit, "Help" strings in upper left

On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 10:06:00PM -0700, Michael Torrie wrote:
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 22:06:00 -0700
From: Michael Torrie <torriem gmail com>
Subject: Re: no "File", "Edit, "Help" strings in upper left
CC: gtk-app-devel-list gnome org

On 01/29/2012 06:33 PM, Gary Kline wrote:

    Do you really mean that is your coming appa you will have no
    "File, Edit, Whatever, Help" bars?  Or am i misunderstanding
    the name of menubar?  i like at least File because it
    usually gives a way of quitting the app?

What he means is that more and more apps are choosing other ways to
present the user with options.  Like context-sensitive toolbars.  Or
recently Mark Shuttleworth of Ubuntu demonstrated a system that you
could type or speak and it would search for commands in the app (really
a fancy way of searching a menu so menus are still relevant).

In my little app I shared with you I chose not to have a menubar because
it wouldn't have served any purpose.  The current feature set is
entirely reached via the UI in the main window.

To close an app you could set up a shortcut key, usually Ctrl-Q, or
sometimes Ctrl-W (window close) to terminate your app.  Or let someone
just hit the (X) button.  Either way, very few people probably use
File->Quit to quit.  I know I don't.  I use Ctrl-Q or Ctrl-W most of the
time.  Or close the window with the decoration.

Menus do have their place of course.

        i do, use the File->quit, but as a last resort :-|  a more
        rational use of a top menubar would be to give the user the
        choice to look at the options that espeak has: from gender
        to speed of speech to pitch.  Another would be to offer a
        help summary.

        since the menubar feature works on debian, that may be the
        best place to do further devel work.  it is painful using
        ubuntu as a gtk development platform.