Re: no "File", "Edit, "Help" strings in upper left

On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 02:05:51PM -0700, Michael Torrie wrote:
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 14:05:51 -0700
From: Michael Torrie <torriem gmail com>
Subject: Re: no "File", "Edit, "Help" strings in upper left
To: gtk-app-devel-list gnome org

On 01/29/2012 01:41 PM, Gary Kline wrote:
Nada. but it compiles with my gcc string and works as it  is coded on
debian linux; on my sub-laptop.  but ubuntu: nope.   i added gtk-demo
and rebuilt.  typing

$ gtk-demo

pops up a rectangle with a bunch of items, but the GTK+ Code Demos lacks
the menubar ...

I think in Ubuntu's Unity desktop the menubar is grabbed out of the
window and placed at the top of the screen.  I could be wrong, though.

        i've seen this  and don't like it; i'd rather have every
        Konsole have its own menubar.  same with other GUI apps.

        hmm.  i'm still not 100.0% certain of this, but here is what
        i've learned: in my compile script is `pgk-config --cflags --libs gtk+-2.0`
        that follows the gcc [stuff].  at least for ubuntu linux, i
        need the `gtk-config --cflags [etc]`

        according to what i can find on google, it looks as tho the
        gtk-config command might only be available for the i386 ...

        i took a simp;le gtk C src along with my compile script and
        scp'd them over to my netbook.  ran the script and exec'd
        the binary.  it produced a gtk widget with the menubar and
        "File .... Help" and twso buttons in the lower left.

        it may be hthat ubuntu is moving toward gtk-3.0   and
        dropping the older releases.  {?}