Re: no "File", "Edit, "Help" strings in upper left

On 01/29/2012 06:33 PM, Gary Kline wrote:

      Do you really mean that is your coming appa you will have no
      "File, Edit, Whatever, Help" bars?  Or am i misunderstanding
      the name of menubar?  i like at least File because it
      usually gives a way of quitting the app?

What he means is that more and more apps are choosing other ways to
present the user with options.  Like context-sensitive toolbars.  Or
recently Mark Shuttleworth of Ubuntu demonstrated a system that you
could type or speak and it would search for commands in the app (really
a fancy way of searching a menu so menus are still relevant).

In my little app I shared with you I chose not to have a menubar because
it wouldn't have served any purpose.  The current feature set is
entirely reached via the UI in the main window.

To close an app you could set up a shortcut key, usually Ctrl-Q, or
sometimes Ctrl-W (window close) to terminate your app.  Or let someone
just hit the (X) button.  Either way, very few people probably use
File->Quit to quit.  I know I don't.  I use Ctrl-Q or Ctrl-W most of the
time.  Or close the window with the decoration.

Menus do have their place of course.