Re: looking for a program....

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 07:37:17PM -0700, Michael Torrie wrote:
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 19:37:17 -0700
From: Michael Torrie <torriem gmail com>
Subject: Re: looking for a program....
To: gtk-app-devel-list gnome org

On 02/16/2012 12:50 PM, Gary Kline wrote:
I'm quite sure that what you're looking for is for some screen reader &
speech synthesis solution, like Orca [1], isn't it?
If not, or Orca doesn't fit your needs, you can deal with speech-dispatcher
in a easy way from your application. Controlling what to say, pitch, rate,
language, etc.

Orca is not what you are looking for.  Orca is a screen reader to assist
the blind and seeing-impaired.

It is not there to act as a voice for a person who cannot speak, though
I suppose it could be used as such, but that is not its primary purpose.

    i spent the entire day looking for what WAS in ubuntu 10.04
    and 10.10, but must have changed with 11.*.  it has a config
    panel when the program began that let you set things such as
    you mention: pitch, rate, volume, ... but this program is no
    longer available.

    I installed a bunch of what i thought might be helpful
    tools, and now  when i run VBC, I get the following
    warnings:

The warnings are probably harmless to your VBC program, though they
indicate something isn't quite right with the screen reader stuff
installed.  Hopefully others can shed light on how to fix these messages
that will probably come up when trying to run any GTK program.  You
might try logging out and back in, or rebooting.  It could be that the
daemons required to implement the screen reader just aren't loaded yet.

        synaptic was also broke--i tried to install the missing
        packages that way (and thru apt-get).  to solve the synaptic
        issue took quite awshile and involved pasting a string of
        commands that only a ubuntu genius could grok.  after that,
        tho, my VBC  ran just fine.

        nutshell: [??]

        ...and now back to my options quandry!