Re: looking for a program....

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 10:24:06AM +0100, Javier Hern?ndez Ant?nez wrote:
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 10:24:06 +0100
From: Javier Hern?ndez Ant?nez <jhernandez emergya com>
Subject: Re: looking for a program....
To: Gary Kline <kline thought org>
Cc: GTK Devel List <gtk-app-devel-list gnome org>

2012/2/15 Gary Kline <kline thought org>

i'm looking for a gui program that spoke text and that had options
for speed, pitch, spacing-between-words and more [[espeak?] right
on the front panel.

I'm wondering, if you're looking for some screen reader & speech synthesis,
solution, isn

i'm looking for something like this panel to let the user select
wshat options he wants his computer voiced to follow.  this "Option"
string on my menubar is one of the things i knew i had to offer--to
build into my VBC progrram.  i've been hunting all over for about an
hour.  can't find it.

if any of you know what program this is, please clue me in.

I'm quite sure that what you're looking for is for some screen reader &
speech synthesis solution, like Orca [1], isn't it?
If not, or Orca doesn't fit your needs, you can deal with speech-dispatcher
in a easy way from your application. Controlling what to say, pitch, rate,
language, etc.

        i spent the entire day looking for what WAS in ubuntu 10.04
        and 10.10, but must have changed with 11.*.  it has a config
        panel when the program began that let you set things such as
        you mention: pitch, rate, volume, ... but this program is no
        longer available.

        I installed a bunch of what i thought might be helpful
        tools, and now  when i run VBC, I get the following
        warnings:

** (gvim:22552): WARNING **: Couldn't register with accessibility bus: Did not
receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a
reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout
expired, or the network connection was broken.

(gvim:22552): Gnome-WARNING **: Accessibility: failed to find module
'libgail-gnome' which is needed to make this application accessible

(gvim:22552): Gnome-WARNING **: Accessibility: failed to find module 'libgail'
which is needed to make this application accessible

** (gvim:22552): WARNING **: Couldn't register with accessibility bus: Did not
receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a
reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout
expired, or the network connection was broken.

        AFAIK, I did not install any accessibility packages.  Same
        with libgail.  do you know what's going on? or anybody else
        onlist?  also, i didn't do anything to gvim---note the
        "(gvim 22552):" above.

        gary

Regards!

[1]: http://live.gnome.org/Orca