Re: looking for a program....

On 02/16/2012 12:50 PM, Gary Kline wrote:
I'm quite sure that what you're looking for is for some screen reader &
speech synthesis solution, like Orca [1], isn't it?
If not, or Orca doesn't fit your needs, you can deal with speech-dispatcher
in a easy way from your application. Controlling what to say, pitch, rate,
language, etc.

Orca is not what you are looking for.  Orca is a screen reader to assist
the blind and seeing-impaired.

It is not there to act as a voice for a person who cannot speak, though
I suppose it could be used as such, but that is not its primary purpose.

      i spent the entire day looking for what WAS in ubuntu 10.04
      and 10.10, but must have changed with 11.*.  it has a config
      panel when the program began that let you set things such as
      you mention: pitch, rate, volume, ... but this program is no
      longer available.

      I installed a bunch of what i thought might be helpful
      tools, and now  when i run VBC, I get the following
      warnings:

The warnings are probably harmless to your VBC program, though they
indicate something isn't quite right with the screen reader stuff
installed.  Hopefully others can shed light on how to fix these messages
that will probably come up when trying to run any GTK program.  You
might try logging out and back in, or rebooting.  It could be that the
daemons required to implement the screen reader just aren't loaded yet.